The first device to support quad-core Tegra 3 technology has been unveiled today: the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime. The device had an intended launch date of November 9th, but has recently been pushed back until the first weeks of December. Rumors speculated that the delay was decided so the device would be able to ship with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, but that has been disproven so it will be yet another Android Honeycomb Tablet.
In an announcement, ASUS said that the Transformer Prime will be loaded with Android 3.2 Honeycomb upon release while an upgrade to the latest version of Android is being tested and optimized. Along with being powered by the 1.3 GHz quad-core Tegra 3 processor by NVIDIA, the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime will sport a 10.1 inch Gorilla Glass screen and contain 1 GB of RAM. A new feature to the tablet is the hydro-oleophobic coating.
ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime Specs :
- 10.1-inch SuperIPS + display with Gorilla Glass screen
- 1.3GHz quad-core NVIDIA Tegra 3 Processor
- Android 3.2 Honeycomb OS
- 1GB RAM
- 32GB or 64GB internal storage
- 8MP Rear facing camera
- 1.2MP frong facing camera
- microHDMI port
- 12 hour battery life playing video
With this new coating on the device, smudges and fingerprints will no longer be a problem. In addition to the screens new coating, it also offers SuperIPS+ display mode. With this mode enabled it will consume more battery life, but it makes the display much brighter for use in outdoor environments.
The device will have either 32 or 64 GB of storage space with a microSD slot. The ultra-thin device, measuring in at 8.33 mm, will only weigh 1.29 lbs and be available in two different colors: Champagne Gold and Amethyst Gray both with a metallic spun finish. The Transformer Prime will have a keyboard dock that contains a USB port and battery. To stay true to the tablet’s design, the Transformer Prime keyboard dock will be much thinner than the previous version.
ASUS’ announcement did not reveal a date for the release of the new tablet, but they have given a price list. For the 32 GB version it will cost $499, for the 64 GB version it will cost $599, and an addition $149 if you choose to purchase the dock.
- Asus To Announce Eee Pad Transformer Prime On November 9th, Landing Page Goes Live
- FCC Receives ASUS Transformer Prime Filing; Spotted With NVIDIA Tegra 3 Processor
- ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Gets OTA Update 18.104.22.168, Netflix Included
- Asus Padfone Slated For February Release; 7-Inch Transformer In The Pipeline
- Android Showdown: Samsung Galaxy Nexus Prime Vs Samsung Galaxy S II