Although most are perfectly satisfied with the stock Galaxy Nexus (given it’s fast updates and stock Android) some of you might want to root it. Well lucky for you, there’s a way; a very easy way. Most other ways will require you to downgrade to another version of Android (4.0.3 etc). This will void your warranty, so only continue if you are okay with that.Please make sure you are using the Verizon Galaxy Nexus – international ones will not work, don’t even try. Now, lets get going!
Here is our guide to root Samsung Galaxy Nexus CDMA running on Android 4.0.4 and install ClockworkMod Recovery :
- Backup any important data. For text messages use the SMS Backup and Restore app and for contacts you should use Google’s built in contact sync. Any media should be copied off the phone and onto your computer, just as a precaution.
- Enable USB Debugging (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging).
- Ensure the device is near fully charged (you don’t want it to power off in the middle of installing a ROM).
- Install ADB and Fastboot – I found this guide to be very good.
- Download the su.zip package from here.
- Download ClockworkMod (it will be referred to as CWM in the rest of the tutorial) Recovery 184.108.40.206 image for the Galaxy Nexus CDMA – link to download.
- Copy the CWM image to the same folder as adb.exe and fastboot.exe are stored.
- Connect your phone to your computer.
- Copy su.zip to the root of your phones memory card.
- Launch a command prompt (cmd.exe) and enter these commands: ‘adb reboot bootloader’ and ‘fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-220.127.116.11-toro.img’.
- Select Recovery Mode and press the power button. Your phone should boot into CWM.
- “Install .zip from SD Card”
- “Choose ZIP from SD Card”
- Select the ‘su.zip’ file.
- Wait for it to finish the installation process.
- “Go Back”
- “Reboot System Now”.
- To check if you have rooted your phone, use this app.
Enjoy your rooted Galaxy Nexus CDMA!
- How To Install ClockworkMod Recovery 18.104.22.168 And Root Galaxy Nexus
- How To Install ClockworkMod Recovery And Root Samsung Galaxy Note
- Samsung Galaxy Note Gets Root And ClockworkMod Recovery
- Tutorial : How to Root Galaxy Nexus LTE (CDMA) On Android 4.0.2 ICS Firmware
- Galaxy Nexus Gets ClockworkMod Recovery With Full Touch Control Navigation