Ice Cream Sandwich has arrived for Droid 3 owners! CyanogenMOD 9 has been released, albeit in a half-broken state. Before you install this ROM, you must have rooted your device.
Right, first things first we must backup. For your SMS messages, use the ‘SMS Backup & Restore‘ app. Contacts should be synced to your Google Account, check this by going Settings > Accounts and Sync > Google > Sync Now. Media should be copied to your memory card.
Things which work:
- 3G Data (phone is connected to the network, but no audio)
- SD Card
- HW Accelerated Graphics (RenderScript apps will have issues — like Web Browser)
- Adb Drivers
Things which doesn’t work:
- Some Codec
- Anything requiring the ION driver device
- Network usage stats (for mobile data)
- Download the ICS Droid 3 package.
- Connect your phone to your computer.
- Copy the .zip from Step 1.
- Turn the phone off.
- Hold down the Volume Down Key and press the power button to enter boot loader phone.
- Select Recovery.
- Select Clear Storage in the Recovery Mode.
- After this is done, select ‘Install ZIP from SD card’, then select ‘Choose zip from SD Card’. Select the ZIP file we copied in step 3.
- Wait till its finished (it may take ~10 minutes, so be patient).
- Once the update is finished, the phone should reboot. If not, just select ‘Reboot System Now’.
Now your device should be running Ice Cream Sandwich. If you have any problems feel free to leave a comment below and I’ll get back to you ASAP.
- Android Gingerbread Build EP4P Firmware Leaks For The Samsung Droid Charge
- Download And Install ICS Android 4.0 XXKP1 Firmware On Samsung Galaxy S2 GT I9100
- Guide: Install CyanogenMod 7.1 Gingerbread Custom ROM Firmware On Your HTC Desire S
- How To Install Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich Firmware On Your Samsung Nexus S
- Redesigned Motorola Droid RAZR (MT917) Headings To Chinese Market